Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Nori Rolls Recipes

I have found a few different recipes on the web and in my Raw Recipe books. I ended up making my own version based on a few different ideas. Follow the links to the different ones I looked at....

The first was in Ani's Raw food Kitchen recipe book. It is posted on This Blog. There are a lot of good Recipe ideas on that blog. There is also a Video that Ani Phyo has done to show you how to make the Nori rolls step by step. Click here to go to the video now.

The next was at The Sunny Raw Kitchen. The Recipe is posted here. This is a great source for really tasty Meal ideas. I love her Recipes and her energy.

I also partially went by a recipe by Jennifer Cornbleet from her book Raw Food made Easy for 1 or 2 people. Click here to see the recipe.


For my Nori Rolls I used;

2 nori sheets
3 tsp of Mellow White Miso
Ani's Ginger almond pate (see below)
Alfalfa sprouts
4 leaves of Spinach
The following Veggies cut thin and lengthwise;
1/4 Cucumber (with seeds cut out)
1/2 a Carrot
1/2 a red pepper
1/4 a small yellow pepper
1/2 Avocado ( I put it on last because it is so fragile, and I didn't marinade them).
* I marinated the veggies in Braggs Amino Acid for about 15 min before I made the rolls.

Assembly;

Using a Bamboo Sushi mat ( I got mine at Safeway in the Asian section) start layering the ingredients;
- starting with the Raw Nori sheets You can get these at healthfood stores that carry food, or you can buy the rosted ones that are at most supermarkets that carry Asian foods. Check out this link to hear about "RAW" Nori sheets..aparently not all Raw nori sheets are Raw so be careful if you are doing 100% Raw that you get truly Raw Nori Sheets.

Make sure that you leave about 1 inch of the nori sheet showing, from the edge closest to you. And also at the edge farthest away from you. This will make it easier to roll, and close, when you are done layering the ingredients.

Start layering the miso on the nori sheet. I put a very thin layer, about 1/4 inch in width across the nori sheet, from one side the the other. Pretty much making a base for where I wanted to put my veggies.

Then I put a thin layer of Ginger Almond Pate (See recipe below) on most of the nori sheet. Make sure it is thin because if you put too much on it can be overwhelming because it is very filling and takes over the roll.

Then I added the marinated Cucumber, Carrot, red and yellow peppers. With a nice layer of alfalfa sprouts next. Then I ripped the spinach leaves in small strips over that. Then I added the Avocado to finish the filling.

Now it is time to Roll the Sushi with the bamboo mat;

Take the bottom of the bamboo mat (along with the nori) and fold it tightly over the ingredients.
Roll the nori tightly, making a cylinder, using the bamboo mat to direct the roll away from you. Squeezing it as you go. Once you get to the 1 inch strip of uncovered nori at the top, dip your fingers in a bowl of water, wet the strip and finish the roll, squeezing the bamboo mat tightly around it. Unfold the mat and you've got your first sushi roll.

Lay it on the wooden cutting board, wet the flat-bladed knife in a bowl of water before each cut and slice the roll into bite-sized pieces.
I also found that wetting my fingers helped as I held the roll during the cutting process.

I used Braggs Amino acids for dipping sauce. You can also use Tamari or Nama Shoyu.

* I made the Ginger Almond Pate from Ani's recipe book;

2 Tbsp of Grated ginger root
2 cloves of Garlic ( I used minced garlic)
1 Tsp of Sea salt
2 cups of almonds( she doesn't soak hers, but I find they are too hard for me..I like a softer texture so I soaked my raw almonds for 6 hours prior to blending)
juice of 2 lemons
1/2 a cup of water, as needed to get the texture you like.
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it more than I do the sushi with raw fishies..It was yummy!!
    It is great to know that you can do this diet without missing out on great dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have seen this before I made my nori rolls tonight. I will def use some of these ingredients next time bcs mine were wimpy.

    ReplyDelete